Building the cornerstone of your Internet presence is a lengthy process that includes planning, designing, writing, programming and testing. And then it’s live! However the work doesn’t end there and forgetting about it isn’t an option, in fact website maintenance is a must if your website is going to be successful.
Website maintenance ensures that your website is running smoothly and is continuing to serve its purpose of generating leads and enquiries by increasing awareness of your business.
The frontend of your website is the part that users interact with:
This means it should be regularly maintained to ensure there are no broken links, spelling errors, or outdated content and most importantly, that it provides a great user experience.
The backend of your website is everything the user can’t see:
Just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it should be overlooked. Your website’s code should be up to date with current web standards. Validated code and development makes a difference when it comes to quality, usability and the ability to successfully market your website on search engines.
Loading speed is an important part of any website’s user experience. Many websites are entirely design-focused or are so complicated with technical function that it compromises page load time. Page load time has a direct affect on your search engine rankings and your bottom line, so it is important to analyse this to achieve the balance between acceptable speed and aesthetic design.
- 73% of mobile internet users say that they’ve encountered a website that was too slow to load.
- 47% of consumers expect a web page to load in 2 seconds or less.
- 40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load.
- A 1 second delay in page response can result in a 7% reduction in conversions.
- If an e-commerce site is making $100,000 per day, a 1 second page delay could potentially cost you $2.5 million in lost sales every year.
Implementing a maintenance schedule
Implementing a maintenance schedule ensures your site will continue being your greatest marketing tool.
Here is a checklist that should be carried out regularly:
- On the front end, pages and links are loading without errors
- Web graphics, photos and content are up-to-date.
- Blogs are posted regularly
- Test your website to ensure that it displays correctly on mobile devices (See our blog on Google’s latest update for more information)
- Update CMS software and plugins
- Analyse page load time using Google Analytics to ensure it is less than 3 seconds.
- Review website statistics regarding your most popular content and your best conversion source.
- Review your local search visibility.
- Review your website strategy annually to ensure it aligns with business goals.
If you haven’t given your website much thought lately, there’s a good chance that it’s not operating at peak performance and it is time for a review.
Need some assistance?
Our websites are designed to be as stress free and easy to manage as possible. With our incredibly simple and easy to use content management systems, you can save time and money by updating content yourself.
Speak to us to find out more about our website development and maintenance packages.