Small businesses are becoming more numerous in this growth environment. How do you stand out and differentiate yourself from your competitors? One simple and effective solution is a dynamic and user friendly website.
Research by MYOB Business Monitor revealed that over half of business owners agree that the Internet is a critical channel for business?s marketing and promotion. This was supported by small businesses with websites earning 7% more in the last 12 months than their offline counterparts.
Yet, the same research found that two thirds of Australian businesses do not have a website. This is most likely due to a lack of experience, with one fifth of small businesses not knowing how to use the web to help their business.
Many small businesses find the task of creating a dynamic, individual and easy to use online page overwhelming. However, when broken down into a few key elements it is quite manageable:
- Ensure ease of navigation – establishing a simple and clear design will result in maximum use of your website and ROI. This can be achieved by grouping like pages together in a sub-navigational model, creating descriptive headings and clearly labeling the contact page to ensure potential customers can reach you.
- Appealing design – keeping the website aesthetically pleasing by minimizing the word count and reducing clutter will allow the viewer to identify your key messages and remain engaged.
- Optimisation – search engine and image optimization will allow your website to be seen first and load the fastest.
- Compatibility – it is essential that with the growth of mobile technology that your website is mobile and tablet friendly so that customers can access your page on the go.
- Communication channels – by employing a blog or online newsletter your business will open up communication channels and keep customers up to date with new services and information. Another benefit of including a blog is that search engines index blogs more quickly than other pages meaning that your page will be one of the first results.